Better Continents: a Valheim Modification
This mod provides the tools to both improve the standard terrain generation of the game, and override aspects of it with image maps, allowing precise control over height, biomes, location placement, and forest coverage.
These generated worlds can be shared with others (who have this mod installed) by simply copying the usual world files, along with the extra
See maps people have shared here.
Check the links above for documentation and installation instructions.
- Use image files as base heightmap layer, detail heightmap layer, and biome specific heightmap layer, with blending options for each
- A comprehensive layer based noise system based on FastNoiseLite, including support for any number of layers of noise with separate settings, each with its own distortion and mask
- A preset system with a few inbuilt defaults, allowing easy selection and sharing of world configs (anyone can make and share their own presets)
- An in game UI for designing your world, with visualisation for the layer system, and fast updating of the terrain and map
- An extensive console command system matching the UI, for those who prefer it
- Use an image file to specify biomes
- Use an image file to specify spawning positions for locations, including player start, bosses, and trader
- Use an image file to specify forest coverage, including in biomes that normally are totally forested (Swamp, Mistlands, Dark Forest, Mountains)
- Change global scale – changes continent sizes
- Adjust sea level
- Adjust forest scaling (how big the contiguous areas of forest/clearings are), and amount
- Specify starting position explicitly
- Still allows loading vanilla maps, without needing to adjust any settings or disable the mod
- Backwards compatible (since version 0.2) – worlds created with older versions
will still look the same when loaded with newer onesIncludes a debug mode to automatically enable cheats, reveal the full map, toggle
on vanilla debugmode, and various other things, for quicker testingAllows skipping of default location placement for quick world generation
- Export full map to png at any resolution