Get the Thunderstore App
Easily install and manage your mods with the Thunderstore App!
BepInExPack for Valheim
This is BepInEx 5.4.21 pack pre-configured for Valheim. It is maintained by Azumatt, Vapok, and Margmas in the Valheim community.
BepInEx is a general purpose framework for Unity modding. BepInEx includes tools and libraries to
- load custom code (hereafter plugins) into the game on launch;
- patch in-game methods, classes and even entire assemblies without touching original game files;
- configure plugins and log game to desired outputs like console or file;
- manage plugin dependencies.
BepInEx is currently one of the most popular modding tools for Unity on GitHub.
This pack's contents
This pack is preconfigured and usable for Valheim modding.
In particular, the changes from base BepInEx releases are:
- Added preconfigured
BepInEx.cfgwith console enabled.
- Added unstripped Unity + Mono BCL DLLs for current versions of the game. See this issue comment for more info.
- Updated Doorstop configuration and BepInEx to allow to load unstripped DLLs without having to overwrite game DLLs.
- Added scripts necessary to run both game and dedicated server on Linux machines
Installation (game, automated)
This is the recommended way to install BepInEx on the game.
- Download and install Thunderstore Mod Manager or r2modman
- Click Install with Mod Manager button on top of the page
- Run the game via the mod manager
Installation (server, automated)
There are some managed dedicated server that support simple and automatic BepInEx installation.
Here is a list of known ones (list updated as more is known).
Note: Some of the links may be affiliate links
If you are installing this manually, do the following
Extract the archive into a folder. Do not extract into the game folder.
Move the contents of
Check that you have installed it correctly. If done correctly, your folder will look as follows
Follow either Windows or Linux game running instructions below:
No need to configure. Simply run the game. If everything is correct, you will see a console pop up.
Configuration (Linux, game)
chmod u+x start_game_bepinex.sh.
In Steam, go to game's properties and set game's launch arguments to
Note to advanced users: You can change
./start_game_bepinex.shto full path to the script. This way you can install this pack entirely outside of game folder.
Run the game via Steam.
At this moment you will not see any clear indication if BepInEx works. It is suggested to test by installing a simple plugin such as MessageCenter from BepInEx.Utility.
Configuration (Linux, server)
This guide assumes you have enough knowledge working with Linux.
If not, it is suggested you use ValheimPlus instead and server hosts that support it out of the box.
chmod u+x start_server_bepinex.sh.
start_server_bepinex.shto change the launch parameter like you would with Valheim's own launch script.
start_server_bepinex.shto start the server.
If done correctly, you will see BepInEx bootstrap messages in the terminal.
Checking BepInEx version and load status
If BepInEx was loaded successfully into the game, you should see BepInEx version info in top left corner of the main menu:
- BepInEx: writing basic plugin walkthrough
- BepInEx: useful plugins for modding
- BepInEx: patching game methods at runtime
Issues, questions, etc.
At this moment, you can use the following channels to ask for help
- BepInEx Discord -- Only technical support for THIS PACKAGE. No support for plugins. Most likely your issue is caused by a game update that could make your mods (plugins) not function correctly. This can cause various issues not related to BepInEx. Please only join this discord if you are sure that your issue is related to the modding framework and not a recent game update or plugin update
List of Valheim Modding Discords
- Valheim Modding - General Valheim Modding
- Valheim Modding - Community for Mod Authors
- OdinPlus - Modding Community
- Jötunn, the Valheim Library - Modding API for Valheim
List of Author-Specific Discords
Feel free to ask Azumatt, Vapok, or Margmas to add your own if you are a mod author
- Updating Thunderstore version in Preloader.DLL
- For Unix installs, including dedicated servers, the ForceBepInExTTYDriver config setting was removed in a prior update. This is needed for servers to shut down correctly.
- Log the BepInExPack Valheim version the user is using right before the preloader completes. This is to help troubleshoot issues by stating what version of the pack you are running.
- Updated to force the Assembly entry point by default. This should prevent some issues with users having older config files.
- Updated to support Valheim 0.214.3
- Updated to BepInEx 5.4.21
- Updated to support Valheim 0.214.2
- Updated to support Valheim 0.209.5
- Updated to BepInEx 5.4.19 (changelog)
- Updated to BepInEx 5.4.17 (changelog)
- Updated unstripped DLLs for Unity 2019.4.31
- Updated to BepInEx 5.4.16 (changelog)
start_game_bepinex.shto handle cmdline args better
- Updated Valheim.DisplayBepInExInfo to 2.0.0(changelog)
- Updated to BepInEx 5.4.15 (changelog)
- Updated to BepInEx 5.4.14 (changelog)
- Updated *nix start script for games to account for new Steam game bootstrapper
- Updated to BepInEx 5.4.11 (changelog)
- Updated unstripped DLLs for Unity 2019.4.24
- Updated README with some dedicated servers that support BepInEx by default
- Updated to BepInEx 5.4.9 (changelog)
- Updated Valheim.DisplayBepInExInfo to 1.0.1 (changelog)
trueby default. This prevents console from being closed (and thus unsaved game being closed by accident)
- Updated to BepInEx 5.4.8
- Added Valheim.DisplayBepInExInfo plugin
- Updated screenshot of example installation
- Updated to BepInEx 5.4.7
- Updated BepInEx 5.4.6 to a newer build
--enable-console true|falsecommand-line option to enable or disable BepInEx console
--doorstop-dll-search-overridecommand-line option to behave the same way as config's
- Updated BepInEx 5.4.6 to a newer build
- Update config to write Unity logs to LogOutput.log by default
- Added preconfigured scripts and files to run the game under Linux
- Updated unstripped DLLs for Unity 2019.4.20
- Adjusted README
- Adjusted versioning to account for inter-version changes
- Initial release with BepInEx 5.4.6
Please note that the install buttons only work if you have compatible client software installed, such as the Thunderstore Mod Manager. Otherwise use the zip download links instead.
|Upload date||Version number||Downloads||Download link|